Support Wikipedia Reflections of Art: East of Eden

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

East of Eden

Shakespearean - that's what I would like to call this movie. A story about lust, jealousy, greed, naivety and ambition. I had often heard about James Dean and always wondered why he was so critically applauded; now I know why. He was a child in this movie (metaphor) and he played that character to perfection. The movie revolved around relationships within the family, flaws of human society and customs and James's search for himself.
What makes it special? The character is not loud or in your face; rather, one can see the confusion on the child's face and every drop of emotion comes out so strongly. There is an elan coupled with confusion and aggression. There were moments when I simply gaped in awe at James's face; partly because he seemed flawless, and partly because he was a gorgeous guy.
Physical struggles are difficult to perform convincingly, but emotional struggles are near impossible to portray well; I do not know how James managed to do so, but he did it very well.
I saw in this movie what I see everyday - flaws in human society and the idiosyncrasies of each individual, and I saw in this movie an actor that could have been cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment